Dear Friends and Colleagues,
We would like to inform you that the 15th International Congress on Antiphospholipid Antibodies Local and International Executive Committees have decided to change the location of the congress to Northern Cyprus.
The new location is an all-inclusive beach resort hotel (ELEXUS HOTEL) in Northern Cyprus. The conference dates remain unchanged, September 21-24, 2016. Given that some of you may be unfamiliar with Cyprus, here is some information:
- Cyprus, a very peaceful island in the eastern Mediterranean, is separated into Greek south and Turkish north.
- South, i.e., “Cyprus” is part of the European Union with an international airport and could serve the majority of the international conference registrants. There are direct flights to Larnaca airport from London, Frankfurt, Athens, and other European cities.
- North, i.e., “Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus”, is a separate country. It has a major airport – Ercan airport - with multiple daily flights from Turkey which would enable the Turkish registrants (and international registrants who choose to travel via Istanbul airport) to easily participate. For international travelers who arrive in Istanbul, departure to Ercan airport occurs in the same terminal; thus they do not need to clear customs or leave the terminal in Istanbul.
- Since 2003, the borders between the South and North have been open for tourists and residents - www.cyprusholidayadvisor.com/border-crossings.htm
- Serenas will arrange transportation both from Larnaca (46 miles/75 km, or ~60-80 min drive) and Ercan airports (20 miles/32 km, or ~30-40 min drive) to the conference hotel (http://www.elexushotel.com/?dil=en)
Given the change three months prior to the congress, we deeply apologize for the inconvenience and the likely additional travel leg. However, given the increasing safety concerns in Istanbul, we feel this is the most sensible decision. Please note that:
- There will no change in the registration and hotel package rates; the package now will include breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as the social programs. If you have already reserved your hotel room via the congress website, you do not need to do anything else at this point.
- Early registration deadline is now July 31st, 2016
- Serenas has a strong team to accommodate this change and is ready to answer any travel-related questions that you may have. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
We thank you for your patience, understanding, and continued support during this time. The organization committee remains very much committed to the overall success of this congress and look forward to meeting you all and having great scientific discussions in September.
Doruk Erkan, MD, MPH
On Behalf of the Local and International Executive Committees